Monday, February 15, 2010

Good Philosophy

The other day while out in the city I stumbled into a rare book store somewhere mid-town east. I was thrilled to find a beautiful hardcover copy of The Logic of Liberty by my favorite philosopher, Michael Polanyi. The jacket is near-perfect and a smooth, appealing dull yellow and the book itself is a nice cloth-bound navy. I still need to take it back, along with another book by a contemporary Christian theologian of his, to be wrapped to protect the cover from crumbling. As I walked out of the store clutching my treasure, I recognized in myself the first greedy pangs of a collector. It is now a goal of mine to acquire all of Polanyi's books in the best condition possible. This shouldn't be too difficult, since he was not prolific in his non-science writing. I am also determined to study all of his work and to immerse myself in his philosophy. There is truth in it. His work gives me hope. Another post forthcoming when I read the first lecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment