Saturday, March 12, 2011

Once a month

Men not interested in the sordid matters of the female body should avert their eyes.

I am not feeling well today. I tripped out of bed at a relatively reasonable hour of the morning (for Saturday) feeling relatively cheerful, but within a few hours the cheer was dampened by a familiar feeling of discomfort below the belt. 10 hours and 4 cups of raspberry and rose hip tea later, not much has changed except for the fact that the low-grade headache I felt coming on yesterday seems to have returned. Heh. I have spent the past five hours in bed sipping the tea with an old tonic water bottle filled with the hottest water I could get from the tap firmly pressed against the area between my navel and the line of hair below it.

These times have always been painful for me to some degree. I can remember a couple of years, especially in my mid teens and early twenties, when each month I was nearly incapacitated for the first day or two by the pain. Over the years it's gotten a bit better and I can even remember a couple of times when there was no pain at all. But it's an old familiar feeling that is oddly comforting too. Surprisingly enough, tea normally helps a lot. Sometimes all it takes is a couple of sips and I feel as right as rain again. I don't know why it's not working today :(

No comments:

Post a Comment